Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Update on the Donovan

Well, I think my little brigantine is coming along fairly nicely.

I was then able to add some railings. You can't have the men falling into the ocean now, can we?

Here's a shot of Royal Marine company (with a member of the 29th Foot filling in the last spot). They're in progress, but well on the way.

And in the corner you can see my prototype sailor, who happens to be wielding a boarding axe.

The deck space is very cramped, but I still think I can manage to put in four guns: because this is the the HMS Donovan I think it only fitting to name them "John," "Paul," George," and "Richard." I've also recently purchased a launch (lifeboat, I suppose you can call it), wheel, and figurehead. They shall be installed at a later date.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

1st New York Regiment - 1775

Hello all!
It's been a long time since I've been able to actually sit down and paint, let alone update. I'm pleased to announce that my first squad of Continental troops are very nearly completed, save for a few finishing touches.

It's the 1st New York Regiment, which particapted in the failed American campaign to take Canada.

The regiment, as you can see here, was outfitted with blue coats and red trim - closely resembling the later Continental Regular Army uniform. However, along with its sister regiments - the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th New York - had supply problems. There was a shortage of supplies and clothing, so as a result I decided to give my men (from Foundry) a varied appearance with some brown hats, shoes, different colored weskits, etc.

Here, the officer (from Front Rank) steadies his men as they prepare to engage the 8th Regiment of Foot.

I still need to add a few small details, but overall I'm very, very pleased with how well they've come out.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

HMS Donovan: Part I

I found this wooden ship at Michaels the other day. Upon inspecting it carefully, I decided that I might be able to convert into a wargaming vessel. To be manned by my Royal Marines and sailors, of course.

So I started by removing the sails and deck houses.

Then I sanded the hull down and sawed off the base and main mast. That latter will be re-affixed later a little more forward. And since she's going to be a brig, I'm going to need to find a dowel for the aft mast.

Finally, using a piece of the base....

So my plan to find something to use as deck railing now and build up a quarter deck. For the deck itself, I'm going to do what I've done for my marines and use popsicle sticks that have been cut down and modified. It's a real WIP, and I'm making up much of this as I go along, hehe.

Thursday, May 15, 2008


Hey everyone,

Since I already have a blog dedicated to my Warhammer 40k force, the 32nd Praetorian Foot, I decided that perhaps I should start another dedicated to my historical miniatures. As of right now, I'm working on the 8th Regiment of Foot, 17th Light Dragoons, the 1st New York Regiment, and the French Gatinois Regiment for the American Revolutionary War period. In addition, I'm also working on a squad of Royal Marines and sailors. They will, of course, be serving aboard a 25mm model of of British brig I'm working on, to be called the HMS Donovan. I just bought the base for it today, and so my summer will be spent trying to convert it to an acceptable piece.

I have many plans. I intend to invest in some Perry Brothers plastic American Civil War models. My friend Weasel bought some recently, and he quite likes them so I shall follow as well. Perhaps I'll even expand into Mexican-American War, but I doubt that that will happen any time soon.